[tei-council] teleconference logistics

Daniel O'Donnell daniel.odonnell at uleth.ca
Mon Nov 20 00:38:43 EST 2006

For some reason I'd thought the meeting was was 1400 GMT (7am MST). But
I see from the agenda that it's earlier.

Since I'm ex officio and while almost everybody else has been elected or
appointed specifically to the council, I don't mind being the
inconvenienced one if the time works out better for everybody else: at
1200GMT I see it is 2100 in Japan and 0100 in NZ. I don't know if 0500
(Lethbridge), 0100 (NZ) and 2100 (Japan) is better or worse for people
on the geographic fringes than 1100 (Lethbridge), 0700 (NZ) and 0300
(Japan) which is what it would be if we changed the time to 1800 UTC.

I'm happy to go with whatever Conal and Christian thinks works best for
them. I suppose one could say getting up for 0500 is a brick in the path
of virtue. If I were a monk it would be sleeping in.

Thanks very much for noticing Syd! If you hadn't emailed, I'd have
missed it altogether, since I have the wrong time in my agenda.

-dan

On Sun, 2006-11-19 at 22:56 -0500, Syd Bauman wrote:
> > Expected to participate:
> > Syd Bauman, David Birnbaum, Tone Merete Bruvik, Lou Burnard,
> > Arianna Ciula, James Cummings, Matthew Driscoll, Amit Kumar, Dan
> > O'Donnel, Dot Porter, Sebastian Rahtz, Laurent Romary, Susan
> > Schreibman, Conal Tuohy, John Walsh, Christian Wittern, Matthew
> > Zimmerman
>
> Matt Zimmerman is no longer on Council, having been replaced by
> Daniel O'Donnel, and so he should probably not be expected to
> participate. (Unlike elected members, whose term starts on 01 Jan 07,
> Daniel has already replaced Matthew as Chair. Matthew continues to
> serve on the Board until 31 Dec 06, but does not serve as chair of
> the consortium.)
>
> Daniel, on the other hand, lives in Lethbridge, which, I believe, is
> in MST or UTC -07:00. That means this call would occur at 05:00 for
> him. (Amit has it slightly better, at 06:00.) In theory Daniel could
> ask the vice-chair (Julia) to sit in for him, but I happen to know
> she will be on vacation.
>
> If we move the meeting to 18:00 UTC, it would be a civilized 11:00
> for Daniel and a near-civilized 07:00 (on Thu) for Conal. It would be
> a reasonable 13:00 for those of us on the East Coast (a particularly
> bad time for me, actually, but I will try to work around whatever we
> do), but obviously kind of late for the Europeans (19:00 for Laurent,
> e.g.).
>
> See
> http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/meetingtime.html?year=2006&month=11&day=22&p1=0&p2=878&p3=55&p4=264

Daniel Paul O'Donnell, PhD
Department Chair and Associate Professor of English
Director, Digital Medievalist Project http://www.digitalmedievalist.org/
Chair, Text Encoding Initiative http://www.tei-c.org/

Department of English
University of Lethbridge