[tei-council] date-stamping <desc>

Syd Bauman Syd_Bauman at Brown.edu
Tue Oct 10 14:45:45 EDT 2006

> Why do these have to be separate attributes?  Why not just:
>   <desc xml:lang="en" version="2">Fooble fibble</desc>
>   <desc xml:lang="zh-tw" version="1">...</desc>
>   <desc xml:lang="fr" version="2">...</desc>
> Just wondering what this really buys you?

Well, I suppose if you have really strict and well-enforced rules on
when a version= gets incrememnted, this would work too. The advantage
of my translationOfVersion= attribute is that it makes clear that
making an improvement to the translation does not mean you change the
attribute value; you only change the attribute value when you've
changed the content to be a translation of a different source string,
albeit perhaps only slightly different.