[tei-council] links into images

Dot Porter dporter at uky.edu
Tue Oct 10 09:47:12 EDT 2006

Lou, how does this look?

<svg:svg>
  <svg:desc>Woodcut of "The Study"</svg:desc>
    <svg:image id="p981" xlink:href="study.jpg"/>
    <svg:rect id="p982" xlink:href="study.jpg" x="75" y="75"
width="100" height="100"/>
    <svg:rect id="p983" xlink:href="study.jpg" x="55" y="42"
width="100" height="400"/>
</svg:svg>

(complete code here

<?xml version="1.0" standalone="no"?>
<!DOCTYPE svg PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD SVG 1.1//EN"
  "http://www.w3.org/Graphics/SVG/1.1/DTD/svg11.dtd">
<svg version="1.1"
     xmlns="http://www.w3.org/2000/svg">
  <desc>Woodcut of "The Study"</desc>
)

On 10/10/06, Lou Burnard <lou.burnard at computing-services.oxford.ac.uk> wrote:
> Is anyone going to answer my question?
>
> Here it is again: How do I do that in SVG (or anything else they'd care
> to recommend)
>
> I'd like to edit the text of this chapter to demonstrate how this
> example works in whatever or whatevers. I don't like leaving an example
> which recommends something we know is broken.
>

> Christian Wittern wrote:
> > Syd Bauman <Syd_Bauman at Brown.edu> writes:
> >

> >> [Comenius example at
> >> http://www.tei-c.org/release/doc/tei-p5-doc/html/SA.html#SACSXA.]

> >> Yes, the intent has always been to change those comments of vestigal
> >> extended pointer syntax into SVG. At the time, I did not know enough
> >> SVG to do that myself, although with some effort I could probably do
> >> it now.
> >>

> > The proposal from Dot and Conal propose to do this differently -- they
> > initially suggested mp(), but then discovered that this does not work
> > for bitmapped images and are now suggesting a home-baked syntax.
> >
> > Well, hesitatingly, I admit that this is one of the cases where we
> > should propably recommend SVG -- although I seem to remember that METS
> > can do similar things, which might be more attractive for (digital) libraries
> > who are committed to METS anyway.
> >
> > best, chw

Dot Porter, University of Kentucky
#####
Program Coordinator
Collaboratory for Research in Computing for Humanities
dporter at uky.edu          859-257-9549
#####
Editorial Assistant, REVEAL Project
Center for Visualization and Virtual Environments
porter at vis.uky.edu