[tei-council] reviewing SA again;what is standoff?

Syd Bauman Syd_Bauman at Brown.edu
Mon Oct 9 21:23:04 EDT 2006

> > Now, I don't say that 14.9 is telling porkies, but is this really
> what most people think of when they say "standoff"? and is it
> really the use-case we think of when we consider using XInclude?

I think the quoted passage[1] is exactly what people mean when they
say "standoff". XInclude is only one method of accomplishing
stand-off markup, a method that you might argue is less than ideal.
Stand-off is only one use-case for XInclude, and I daresay it is one
of the less common ones, at that. Boilerplate text or managing
chapters is probably much more common.

Note
----
[1] 14.9.1 para 1;
    http://www.tei-c.org/P5/Guidelines/SA.html#body.1_div0.4_div1.2_div2.9_div3.1

      Markup is said to be stand-off, or external, when the tags
      representing elements are placed outside of the text being
      marked up: elsewhere within the same file, or even outside it
      altogether.