[tei-council] reviewing SA again;what is standoff?

James Cummings James.Cummings at oucs.ox.ac.uk
Tue Oct 10 01:54:35 EDT 2006

Syd Bauman wrote:
>>>Now, I don't say that 14.9 is telling porkies, but is this really
>>
>>what most people think of when they say "standoff"? and is it
>>really the use-case we think of when we consider using XInclude?
>

> I think the quoted passage[1] is exactly what people mean when they
> say "standoff". XInclude is only one method of accomplishing
> stand-off markup, a method that you might argue is less than ideal.
> Stand-off is only one use-case for XInclude, and I daresay it is one
> of the less common ones, at that. Boilerplate text or managing
> chapters is probably much more common.

For the record, I tend to automatically think of link/join/span when
someone talks about stand-off markup.  So I think of it not so much
the "tags representing elements" in another location as 'additional
interrelations between existing elements' which I think of first when
one mentions stand-off.  I realise this distinction is probably
trivial, or based on my own misunderstandings, and discussed earlier
in the same chapter.    The inclusion of virtual content with XInclude
(as you suggest) to include boilerplate text or managing chapters
somehow seems like something slightly different to me.  (But as you
say this is a more common use, so is it discussed elsewhere?)  I don't
think most people are going to use XInclude in the manner shown in
14.9.5., but in much more simplistic ways.

-James