[tei-council] date-stamping <desc>

Sebastian Rahtz sebastian.rahtz at oucs.ox.ac.uk
Sun Oct 8 12:58:36 EDT 2006

Syd Bauman wrote:
> That is, lots of times the canonical (aka English) <desc> will be
> updated, but a change in the translations will not be required.

true. so in that case you would not change the date-stamp.
"date-stamp" is wrong word, mayne.

> Also can lead to confusion unless all updates are committed right
> away. Let's say on 2007-03-08 Joe checks out the 2007-03-06 version
> of P5 and starts creating translations into Serbian. Lou improves the
> wording of a <desc> on 2007-03-10. Joe sends in his translation on
> 2007-03-12. Sebastian sucks Joe's translations into the P5 source on
> 2007-03-14. What's the last update date on the <desc xml:lang="sr">?
> If it's 03-12 or 03-14, we have a mis-match.

theoretically all true. but in practice this isn't going
to happen.
> In any case, would a non-TEI person think we're nuts to put this in
> the encoding, rather than have an external database of this kind of
> metadata?

possibly. but the maintenance of an external database
is probably more work and more error prone
than this simple mechanism.

http://www.oss-watch.ac.uk