[tei-council] handShift anomaly

Dot Porter dporter at uky.edu
Fri Oct 6 11:14:02 EDT 2006

On 10/6/06, James Cummings
<James.Cummings at computing-services.oxford.ac.uk> wrote:
>  Just as I never start my documents with a <pb/>
> I would not expect to start my transcriptions with a <handShift>.  So I'm going
> to tell them that this is fine.  Do let me know if @old or @new are about to
> disappear so I can advise them to add them back in. ;-)

Um, I actually do start transcriptions with <pb/> (and <lb/> for that
matter). And, if I had to deal with scribal hands, I'd probably start
with <handShift/> too. I suppose this is tag abuse?

Dot

> > I might also add that I've always thought it was really silly to use
> > <handShift> to indicate a shift in things other than identity of the scribal
> > hand, e.g. the colour of the ink. All that kind of stuff can be dealt with in
> > <handDesc>.
>
> They were also suggesting this.  Well, to be honest because there is so much
> rubrication in the manuscript, they are adding a new temporary local element <r>
> to mark it and thinking it might stand for <handShift ink="red"/> text
> <handShift ink="black"/> or similar.  I was going to recommend to them that when
> they expand this they might wish to do so to <hi rend="red">text</hi> instead.
>
> -James
> --
> Dr James Cummings, Oxford Text Archive, University of Oxford
> James dot Cummings at oucs dot ox dot ac dot uk

Dot Porter, University of Kentucky
#####
Program Coordinator
Collaboratory for Research in Computing for Humanities
dporter at uky.edu          859-257-9549
#####
Editorial Assistant, REVEAL Project
Center for Visualization and Virtual Environments
porter at vis.uky.edu