[tei-council] handShift anomaly

James Cummings James.Cummings at computing-services.oxford.ac.uk
Fri Oct 6 11:18:13 EDT 2006

Dot Porter wrote:
> On 10/6/06, James Cummings
> Um, I actually do start transcriptions with <pb/> (and <lb/> for that
> matter). And, if I had to deal with scribal hands, I'd probably start
> with <handShift/> too. I suppose this is tag abuse?

I wouldn't have said it is tag abuse, just a different philosophy about where
the breaks happen.  To me the text starts (ignoring front matter) on the first
line of the first page, and the first pagebreak happens at the end of that page
when it changes to number '2'.  And the first linebreak is at the end of the
first line.  While I feel I'm on safer ground with the line breaks, I certainly
have seen both approaches.

-James