[tei-council] image encoding comments

Sebastian Rahtz sebastian.rahtz at oucs.ox.ac.uk
Mon Oct 2 03:39:48 EDT 2006

Syd Bauman wrote:

> So this is the "everyone else has reinvented the wheel, so we should
> too" argument?

The SVG guys did NOT invent the concept of pulling in
an external image, all the DTDs have/had it. They DID invent
a new language for describing pictures, that was the wheel
we should not reinvent. Arguably, the SVG guys reinvented
the wheel when they specified <svg:image>; probably cos
they could not bear the thought of understanding interleaving
of schemas.
> OK: DTD people, listen up! <svg:image> is not that much harder to use
> than <tei:graphic>.

can you explain why not? don't we have to choose for them
between <svg:image> and <image xmlns="....">, which
makes them possibly unable to pull in my texts which might
(legitimately) use a mixture of the two?
> Hmm... I'm of half a mind that even the current height=, width=, and
> scale= attributes are about the styling of the output, and thus sort
> of outside our scope. On the other hand, the convenience factor of
> having them is pretty significant.

I even half agree. I could say <graphic rend="width:5in">.
It depends on whether you want to increase the scope
of the TEI to become an authoring system as well
as a descriptive system.  Obviously, I do; but _sensu
strictu_ it is not what we are here for.
> (But if it exists, the scale= attribute of <graphic> should
> permit values greater than 100%, shouldn't it?)

yes! thats a corrigible error. I have simply
just changed it to data.numeric, hope thats OK
by everyone.

http://www.oss-watch.ac.uk