[tei-council] image encoding comments

Christian Wittern wittern at kanji.zinbun.kyoto-u.ac.jp
Mon Oct 2 00:36:49 EDT 2006

Syd Bauman <Syd_Bauman at Brown.edu> writes:

> OK: DTD people, listen up! <svg:image> is not that much harder to use
> than <tei:graphic>.

:-)

> Of course, that's easy for me to say, I'm not likely to be the one
> who has to change roma so that it properly incorporates the SVG DTD,
> changing all the element names to "svg:blah".

It gets a bit more complex when you want to process your document,
e.g. with XSLT etc. Of course, it is not rocket science, but you have
to pay attention to the details.

What it boils down to, me thinks, is whether we consider including
simple graphics (that is, bitmapped images) part of the core business
of the TEI.  I would say yes, but your mileage may vary.

And yes, to me it would be what we call a customization if you want to
include SVG in your schema, which is not a big thing.  Before this
conformance debate started, we used to say that every TEI schema is a
customization (or view) of the TEI, which I think is still a valid
position.

Christian

--

 Christian Wittern