[tei-council] next telecon 12 days away

Christian Wittern wittern at kanji.zinbun.kyoto-u.ac.jp
Fri Sep 22 19:37:01 EDT 2006

Sebastian Rahtz <sebastian.rahtz at oucs.ox.ac.uk> writes:

> James Cummings wrote:
>>
>> I think all council members should be encouraged to respond with
>> their views on the various feature requests but that final decisions
>> (unless it is an issue that they decide should be brought to
>> council) should rest with the editors as usual.
> That's ok in theory, but it's not happening. When someone makes a
> request in August,  it needs a
> triage reply within a week or less, not being covered by a report at
> the members meeting the following
> October if they are lucky.
>
> We seem to be unnaturally susceptible to bottlenecks in the TEI Consortium.
> What can we do systematically to avoid them?

Better planning, I would say.

We did ask people to send us their requests and had an action item on
the editors (due 2006-09-21) to digest them.  This does not work.

What we need to do instead is: (1) Assign somebody to look at incoming
requests as they come in (that is within a few hours or days),
acknowledge the receipt and (2) hand the task of to somebody (else) who is
then responsible for shepherding it through.  The SF system actually
supports this, but in reality most requests at the moment are still
assigned to "nobody".

If this sounds agreeable, we need a volunteer for the first task.  I
assume that we then divide the load for the second task among council
members per default (in consultation with "invited experts" were
necessary).  This requires that we all have SF ids.

All the best,

Christian

--

 Christian Wittern