[tei-council] on regularizing names

Dot Porter dporter at uky.edu
Thu Sep 21 09:13:30 EDT 2006

Hi Syd,

Nice set of choices. I prefer (j), pointer to a regularization, simple
case rules. I've become a fan of providing regular information in the
header, then pointing to it from inside the text, for consistency. I
fear that relying on <reg> in this context could lead to inconsistent
regularization. I appreciate that it would be simpler for the
programmer to require a @key on <persName> rather than on <regName>,
but here again I like the idea of only having to do it once. But
otherwise, (i) is my second choice.

Dot

On 9/21/06, Syd Bauman <Syd_Bauman at brown.edu> wrote:
> Back in May I posted a discussion of regularization of names
> [http://lists.village.virginia.edu/pipermail/tei-council/2006/001353.html].
>
> I reproduce that list of possible solutions, with four more added
> here. One of the new additions to the list is that which Julia &
> Perry recommended in their work of 2005-07
> [http://lists.village.virginia.edu/pipermail/tei-council/2005/000600.html],
> another two are simplifications of that.
>
> I will then go through the list, and show that many suggestions are
> problematic at best, ending with a set of 7 choices for Council to
> consider.
>
> some possibilities
> ---- -------------
> a) <reg> on a par w/ the PCDATA inside name:
>      <persName>Syd
>        <reg>Bauman, Sydney D.</reg>
>      </persName>
>
> b) <reg> with a sister element inside name:
>      <persName>
>        <ZZZ>Syd</ZZZ>
>        <reg>Bauman, Sydney D.</reg>
>      </persName>
>    where ZZZ could be "literal", "asIs", "diplomatic", "transcribed"
>    or some such -- if it is "orig", then this is same as (e)
>
> c) names *in* <choice>:
>      <choice>
>        <persName>Syd</persName>
>        <reg>Bauman, Sydney D.</reg>
>      </choice>
>
> d) <choice> in names:
>      <persName>
>        <choice>
>          <orig>Syd</orig>
>          <reg>Bauman, Sydney D.</reg>
>        </choice>
>      </persName>
>
> e) name *is* <choice>, as it were:
>      <persName>
>        <orig>Syd</orig>
>        <reg>Bauman, Sydney D.</reg>
>      </persName>
>
> f) Sorry, no gaiji and no other languages in your
>    regularizations:
>    <persName reg="Bauman, Sydney D.">Syd</persName>
>
> g) Sorry, no gaiji, but use another attribute to represent a
>    different language:
>    <persName regLang="es" xml:lang="en"
>              reg="Bia, Alejandro">Alex</persName>
>
> h) Pointer to a regularization and/or a pointer:
>    This is the method Julia & Perry recommended.
>    <persName reg="#reg.sb">Syd</persName>
>    <!-- meanwhile, in header or elsewhere: -->
>    <regName xml:id="reg.sb"
>             authority='LCNAF"
>             target="http://authorities.loc.gov/cgi-bin/Pwebrecon.cgi?AuthRecID=56..."
>             >Bauman, Sydney D.</regName>
>
> i) Pointer to a regularization, optional key=:
>    Use the basic gist of Julia & Perry's suggestion, but rather than
>    permit a pointer to an authority instead of content (which makes
>    the distinction between regularizing a name and disambiguating a
>    person a bit fuzzy), say that, like <persName>, the content of
>    <regName> is required, and is a *name*. Furthermore, like
>    <persName>, <regName> can bear a key= attribute. E.g.:
>       <persName reg="#reg25">Ritchie</persName>, but most of us
> [...]

Dot Porter, University of Kentucky
#####
Program Coordinator
Collaboratory for Research in Computing for Humanities
dporter at uky.edu          859-257-9549
#####
Editorial Assistant, REVEAL Project
Center for Visualization and Virtual Environments
porter at vis.uky.edu