[tei-council] next telecon 12 days away

Christian Wittern wittern at kanji.zinbun.kyoto-u.ac.jp
Fri Sep 15 09:22:16 EDT 2006

Council members,

Our next realtime conversation is scheduled for Wed. Sep. 27, 2006 at
2100.   As always, I would like to remind you to look at the minutes at
http://www.tei-c.org/Council/tcm25.xml?style=printable
to see if you have any open action items.  Now would be a good time to
catch up.

As to the technical side of the conversation, I was wondering if it
would be worth trying to use Skype for our telecon?  I noticed they
claim that they can support conferences of up to 500 people.  I did
quite a few transpacific conversations recently which went quite well
(at least technically speaking), but only with 3 - 4 people
involved. Nothing fancy, audio only -- but hey, you can see the waves
people make when they speak, which makes it a lot easier to see who is
talking (or making other noises for that matter).

If you think it might be worth a try, why don't you give me your skype
id (mine is cwittern).  I'll be hanging around Monday 18th at 1200 UTC
to chat with those who are willing to spend a few minutes testing
this.  If we can get seven or eight guinea pigs, and it works well, we
might try it for real next time with everybody, and even save some
money on the phone charges.  (unless somebody comes up with a
compelling reason not to try this or with better services elsewhere --
I for one just find it so much comfortable with a standard headset
rather than a headset for a phone)

Oh yes, I am also collecting agenda items.  Please tell me what we
need to talk about (except, errh, filenames?)

All the best,

Christian

--

 Christian Wittern