[tei-council] files renamed

Christian Wittern wittern at kanji.zinbun.kyoto-u.ac.jp
Thu Sep 14 22:27:19 EDT 2006

Sebastian Rahtz <sebastian.rahtz at oucs.ox.ac.uk> writes:

> your solution 2) seems correct to me.

I just want to warn you that this will open the hell of filesystem
character encoding on you.  You can copy a file, put it in an archive
or use other ways to transport it to a different machine.  What you
can't do usually is transport the information of what encoding was
used for the filename.  Even with french, you will need accents, so
you might think of using UTF-8 for this, but most OSsses can't cope
with that (and will expect Latin1 for French; Mac OS X being the
exception; Linux distributions are catching up, but Windows is hell).
Next you will have the Japanese using Kanji in the filenames and the
Chinese as well and you want be able to make sense of that in most
environments.

It was for this reason that I suggested a few days ago to consider the
names on the filesystem as tokens that are meant to be human readable,
but not to be translated.  I still think that would be the best of
both worlds, thus Syds solution 1).

best, chw

--

 Christian Wittern