[tei-council] file names voting results

James Cummings James.Cummings at computing-services.oxford.ac.uk
Thu Sep 7 05:08:21 EDT 2006

Sebastian Rahtz wrote:
> Christian Wittern wrote:
>> Well, I would say the filenames as we have them now are more like
>> tokens than free text.  I think it would make sense to use them as
>> values for @xml:id since you then would immediately understand where
>> the reference is going, whereas at the moment, there is only a coded
>> value that leaves the reader clueless.
> Unfortunately, references like <ptr target="#TD"/> are
> only the tip of the iceberg. To make sense, you also
> have to deal with "#TDSG5" and so on.
>
> I am still unclear as to whether most people who
> voted "yes" expected the ID of the <div1> to change
> as well as the filename, and whether they expected
> the name of the generatd HTML to change as well.

For the record, in my mind, the proposal was solely for the change of filenames,
so that those checking out the subversion modules would not have to work through
another layer of obfuscation.

> I have some sympathy with Lou's view that
> the Council should not in general micro-manage
> the work of the editors, but since the Council
> _was_ bothered about it, _has_ discussed the matter,
> and come to a clear decision, we now cannot
> avoid dealing with the ramifications.

I think we are spending more time arguing about whether we should be doing this
than would be wasted in just deciding and doing it.

-James