[tei-council] on conformance document

Sebastian Rahtz sebastian.rahtz at oucs.ox.ac.uk
Tue Aug 22 09:38:24 EDT 2006

Syd Bauman wrote:
> written. I think it is safe to say that some of those 140 examples
> would not have used TEI if they had been pigeon-holed into using
> vanilla P3.
I quite agree that this is possible. I would not
use the word "safe" myself.

> (Yes, it is also *may* be the case that some other
> projects would have used TEI if were not so malleable, but I'm not
> aware of any. Note that I didn't say "forgiving", for depending on
> your interpretation, I do know projects that have eschewed TEI.)

can you mention some, if it would be sensible
on a publicly-read list? do you know of a good project
which could/should have used TEI, but was
put off and used something else instead (where
"good" means "good example of a..."!)
> BTW, I think the fact that we only have 140 projects listed
> demonstrates our miserable capability to ascertain who is using TEI,
> not that there are really only 140 users in the world.

quite likely, yes.  but suppose its only 10%,
even 1400 users isn't much. If its 1%,
14000 users looks better, but even that
would only be acceptable.

http://www.oss-watch.ac.uk