[tei-council] on conformance document

Lou's Laptop lou.burnard at computing-services.oxford.ac.uk
Tue Aug 22 09:45:14 EDT 2006

I think this discussion is drifting from the point. We should be trying
to decide what is right for P5, not speculate about how much market
penetration we might achieve or might have achieved.

There are many XML schemes out in the world, most of them specialized to
a particular niche. The TEI's claim is that has sufficient generality
and coverage in its semantics that it can be customized to meet most
needs without too much effort.  In terms of complexity, we need to show
that it scales up (not a problem) but also that it scales down, which we
have not bothered much about historically, in part because of the nature
of SGML. And we need to have a metric to assess the interchangeability
(that's what the I in TEI is for, remember) of the resulting documents.
That's what conformance is.