[Fwd: Re: [tei-council] on conformance document

Lou Burnard lou.burnard at computing-services.oxford.ac.uk
Thu Jul 27 19:00:27 EDT 2006

Syd Bauman wrote:
>> Syd -- any objection to my moving your comments to the wiki?
>>

> Well, not any principled objection, but that's not my presumption of
> how one would want to use a wiki. I wrote comments on the document SR
> posted, not changes to it.

OK... I only made the suggestion because I thought it might be useful to
have all the comments together with the draft as it emerges, but it's no
big deal.

> . I think we need an
> entirely descriptive system (i.e., phrases like "TEI conformant",
> "TEI compliant", "TEI format", "TEI structured" or whatever) as
> opposed any system based on levels, whether they be called "level"s,
> "tier"s, "rank"s, "degree"s, "grade"s, or whatever.

Yes, I agree. We need to define some terms for the various forms of
"TEI-likeness" which we are prepared to countenance. As James has
pointed out kashrut is (in this case) in the eye of the beholder...