[tei-council] New discussion document on 1.0 release priorities

James Cummings James.Cummings at computing-services.oxford.ac.uk
Fri Jul 21 05:55:37 EDT 2006

Sebastian Rahtz wrote:
> I think we have to break this down into levels of conformity:
>
> level 0: the document conforms to the tei_all schema, or any valid
> subset of that
>    (ie with fewer elements, tighter datatyping etc)

(So why have you started this list with level0 instead of level1... just
curious. ;-) )

> level 1: the document conforms a schema which adds new elements to the TEI
>    but provides an ODD specification which uses the <equiv> mechanism
> which explains
>    how to map these to standard TEI (ie people with syntactic sugar, or
> translated names)
>
> level 2: the document conforms to a schema which extends the
>    TEI element set by manipulation of the TEI class system
>
> level 3: the document conforms to a schema which is based on the TEI
>    but has changed the content model for elements so that normal TEI
>   documents would no longer conform
>
> level 4: the document uses the TEI elements in the TEI namespace, but
> embeds them within
>   another schema
>
> level 5: the document uses elements with the same name as TEI elements, and
>   the same intended semantics, but does not follow any TEI schema or use
> the TEI
>   namespace
>
> If we could agree on something along these lines, the conformance
> chapter can say it elegantly, but we have to agree on a rough
> approach

I suppose this would make it clear how much TEI your document is... I'm assuming
(as I think you have done above) that having an ODD-derived schema is 'better'
than just using TEI element names.  Your levels do mean that if I delete the TEI
namespace from the TEI element in a document instance, and so it is also no
longer validated by my schema, that I instantly jump from level 0 to level 5.

> I think I'm wth you. drop div0....

Then we should have these levels above also start on 1.  :-)

> I thin the intention is make a backward compatible change to <body>

In that case, I only find it highly desirable. :-)

-James