[tei-council] xmlns in roma generated DTDs

Christian Wittern wittern at kanji.zinbun.kyoto-u.ac.jp
Wed Jun 28 20:52:59 EDT 2006

Sebastian Rahtz <sebastian.rahtz at oucs.ox.ac.uk> writes:

> Christian Wittern wrote:
>>  This happens most of the time with stuff included
>> via external entities or xinclude.
>>
> that is, as you say, a horrible area! inheritance
> does not seem to do what you expect.

Yeah.

>> While this is quite a dark area, I wonder what options we have to
>> solve this.
> get used to declaring the namespace :-}

You mean in the internal subset?  Thats one possibility I had not
considered.  I can live with that.  Is this something we do recommend
in general?

>>   Simply declaring this as an ordinary attribute in ODD
>> obviously will not work, so I think the only way would be to have some
>> code behind the scene that inserts xmlns as an attribute for every
>> element in the generated DTDs.
> is the DTD being read, though, when you process an Xincluded file?

No, the problem I have is with the fragment itselft.  Obviously, I
want to validate and process that by itself, not just when it is
included in the parent file, so on the root level <div>, I add the
xmlns pseudo-attribute.

>>  But since the DTDs are
>> trang-generated, this probably would mean some post-processing
>> afterwords.
> the DTDs are not generated by trang. There is a specific odd2dtd
> process.

I see.

> Why not ask on TEI-L about this, and see if your
> working system is unusual. Expect a long message
> from Michael Beddow, of course.

Hmm.

best, Christian

--