[tei-council] ongoing class struggle, plans

Christian Wittern wittern at kanji.zinbun.kyoto-u.ac.jp
Fri May 26 20:35:00 EDT 2006

Sebastian Rahtz <sebastian.rahtz at oucs.ox.ac.uk> writes:

>> Another thought that came me on my (admittedly short) trip home.
>> Wouldnt it be nice if TEI customizations could by itself be a module?
>> That would allow immediate inclusion of other things (for example the
>> new PERS stuff, but also EpiDoc for the sake of an example) into
>> existing customizations.
>>
> can you explain what you mean a bit more? I don't
> really see what you are asking for.
>
> It is, by the way, possible to use the output of one
> customization as input for another, if it amuses you.
> Is that what you want to do?

So maybe that is enough. My idea was simple that we should think of
customizations not as monolithic, but rather as module-like.  That
would make it easier to re-use and combine various work done
elsewhere.
As an example, the people doing EpiDoc might come up with a
customization that defines a few new elements I would like to use for
Chinese Stone-Rubbings, but I might also need some other stuff they
did not do.  So I would like to just pull in what they did and then do
my own stuff (and make that available to others as well).

If that is already possible, fine.  In that case, we should add a few
paragraphs about how this is supposed to work to the relevant chapter
(TD, or ST or whatever).

best, chw

--

 Christian Wittern