[tei-council] Re: module dependency

Sebastian Rahtz sebastian.rahtz at oucs.ox.ac.uk
Wed May 24 03:50:19 EDT 2006

Syd Bauman wrote:
>  They (the various suggestions on detecting
> element level dependencies that are not met) seem equivalent to me.

I agree. The @depends on <elementSpec> would
be redundant, because one can analyze the content
model.

However, as I say, what then? If we go back to James'
situation with the current schemas, in which he
asked for msdesc but not namesdates, the end
result is a schema with dangling references. He knows
it's invalid, his parser told him so.  So Roma should
have done something about it for him. A system which
lets you make mistakes and then just crows at you
saying "ha ha you fell into the trap, you lose" seems
pretty old-fashioned to me.

I want to write the content model for <msIdentifier>
in such a way as to make it _much_ harder to generate
invalid schemas. If we just want to report errors, lets
forget the class system and modules, and just write
content models which say exactly what we want.

I think we're going round in circles here :-}

http://www.oss-watch.ac.uk