[tei-council] resolving the Birnbaum Biznai

Lou's Laptop lou.burnard at computing-services.oxford.ac.uk
Fri May 19 22:48:59 EDT 2006

I would like to go on record as saying that I regard this development
(the Kyoto Konstruct?) as not just a good idea but a major step forward.
The problem it solves is not just a quirk of physDesc, but one that
pervades the Guidelines. The proposal builds on and extends the work we
have done so far in applying classes throughout the content models, by
providing a much needed solution to oft-repeated concerns about the
over-generality of content models based on them.

The only fly I see in the ointment is that it would appear to preclude
my using a particular class in different ways. In other words, I might
have one element in which I want members of a class to be allowed in an
alternation, and another in which I want them in a sequence. That cannot
be done in the present implementation, if I understand krekly, without
redefining the class.