[tei-council] FAND faces setback

Sebastian Rahtz sebastian.rahtz at oucs.ox.ac.uk
Fri Feb 24 06:31:47 EST 2006

Lou Burnard wrote:

>> 1. They make the code  easier to read. eg
>>     they make it easier to find the end of the section you are in
>

> .... because I am using the wrong tool for the job

its not our job to dictate what tools to use. please explain
to me how, in emacs, to quickly see my section depth?

>> 2. It is what most other major document systems do
>

> ... er i don't think Word has any divs at all, much less numbered ones

Word's styles refer to Heading 1, Heading 2, etc. Thats what people
see.  I adduce HTML, LaTeX, Docbook, and DITA (I think)

>> 3. It is much easier to write processing code (in something like CSS,
>>     nested divs are a pain)
>

> ... which is why xslt is a better tool for the job

no, see above about our job.

>> 4. Nested divs are a concept invented by computer scientists, comparable
>>     to the silly way they count in 8s or 12s, or start numbering with
>> 0. they
>>     mean nothing to real humans
>

> ... same argument applies to xml in general

no. XML allows nested structures, it does not say they are good or bad.

>> 5.  No-one really does document re-use anyway
>>

> ... because numbered divs come back to haunt them

no. anyone who does re-use in real life has tools to sort
it for them.

If the TEI Council says "don't use divs cos none of us do, and the tools
we use
are the ones you should use too" we ain't going to get respect.

Sebastian