[tei-council] FAND faces setback

Lou Burnard lou.burnard at computing-services.oxford.ac.uk
Fri Feb 24 06:20:30 EST 2006

Thanks for the catechism, Sebastian... I have added the needful

Sebastian Rahtz wrote:
> I like numbered divs.

... but I know this is foolish and i will mend my ways

> 1. They make the code  easier to read. eg
>     they make it easier to find the end of the section you are in

.... because I am using the wrong tool for the job

> 2. It is what most other major document systems do

... er i don't think Word has any divs at all, much less numbered ones

> 3. It is much easier to write processing code (in something like CSS,
>     nested divs are a pain)

... which is why xslt is a better tool for the job

> 4. Nested divs are a concept invented by computer scientists, comparable
>     to the silly way they count in 8s or 12s, or start numbering with 0.
> they
>     mean nothing to real humans

... same argument applies to xml in general

> 5.  No-one really does document re-use anyway

... because numbered divs come back to haunt them