[tei-council] forwarded message: Re: PB Workgroup progress?

Christian Wittern wittern at kanji.zinbun.kyoto-u.ac.jp
Tue Feb 21 02:30:35 EST 2006

Council members,

I meant to forward this message last week, but since I do not see them
in the archive, I assume that it went astray somehow.  Once again.

Christian

From: Murray McGillivray
Subject: Re: PB Workgroup progress?
To: Christian Wittern <wittern at kanji.zinbun.kyoto-u.ac.jp>
Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2006 16:33:31 -0700

Christian, the workgroup is currently considering early drafts of two
encoding strategies for book structure, one designed to allow encoding
of the kinds of collation formulae that are used (following Fredson
Bowers) for later printed books from the letterpress era (the example
formula encoding we're looking at is of a book printed in 1671) and
easy output of Bowers-style formulae via XSLT, the other designed to
give a fully explicit account of the structure of a book (the same
book, in the example we are looking at) from that era. Lou Burnard has
posted both bits of XML to the Web site. The current tags of both sets
allow encoding of uncomplicated cases. The next example encodings, to
be received by the workgroup tomorrow or Monday, show encoding of an
uncomplicated manuscript collation and an uncomplicated incunable
collation using the same tags as in the previous example.

When there is agreeement on these tagsets as a basis from which to
proceed, after discussion and without or after amendment, the next
step is to look at more complicated cases, such as fragmentary
gatherings or misbindings in manuscripts, or cancellations and
substitutions in early and later printed books. I expect that such
cases can be considered within the next five weeks.

After that, the workgroup needs to think about two further sets of
issues: means for rich encoding of facts about pages to go in body (so
far these are represented only by pb and fw tags), and header
information appropriate to printed books that will complement the work
of the manuscript description workgroup. Other areas may well come up
as the work progresses due to the interdisciplinary and international
nature of the workgroup.

I've done a fair bit of preliminary draftiing work already in all of
these tagging areas, and expect to be able to move fairly quickly
through the areas I outline, but I will be giving workgroup members a
week to respond to each item in draft and then again when narrative
has been added to clarify the purpose of tags (i.e. draft Guidelines
text). I'd hesitate to put final timelines in place for this work at
this point, but I do think that things should be taking definite form
by three or four months from now.

I don't have a particular need for feedback from TEI Council at this
point, but I expect that it will be useful to have some as the work
takes shape, and I would particularly anticipate the need for other
eyes than the workgroup to look at page-information and
sourceDescription tagsets..

Hope this is the kind of info you want.

Murray McGillivray

--