[tei-council] modifying @rend

Christian Wittern wittern at kanji.zinbun.kyoto-u.ac.jp
Fri Feb 10 07:16:42 EST 2006

Council members,

I spend a good deal of the last days writing and modifying odds, which
is a remarkably pleasure nowadays.  The task was to transform our
largish collection of Chinese Buddhist documents from P4 to P5 (with
tens of thousands of <g> elements! Heureka!). One of the darker sides
of this was that I needed to work from a "hand-extended" TEI DTD that
started out as a specific view, but has seen a very unhealthy growth
over the last 7+ years.  In most cases, I could somehow describe in
ODD what was needed, with the one deviation from the path of virtue
being the content model for <div>, which I more or less created from
scratch to accomodate all kinds of ideosyncrasies (I hope I never have
to show this to Michael B.).  One of the problems I have not yet been
able solve reasonably is a modification I would like to make to the
@rend attribute. At the moment, there are several different ways to
express a specific requirement (and I hope to do more alignment on
this at some point, but *not* now), one of them being just inserting
the number of required "ideographic spaces".  The current data model,
which is data.words does not allow this, so I wold like to redefine
it.  Now the question: How am I supposed to do this?  I know we have
several times discussed that this should be doable, but now that I
want to do it I am at a loss.  I do not want to change data.words
itself, but rather replace it in the declaration of @rend with my own
definition, which would be <rng:text/> I assume.  Is this covered
somewhere? If yes, I certainly have not been able to find it.

All the best,

Christian

--

 Christian Wittern