[tei-council] changes to change

Christian Wittern wittern at kanji.zinbun.kyoto-u.ac.jp
Tue Feb 7 19:39:16 EST 2006

Hi there,

I am in the process of validating a whole bunch of files that have
been transformed to P5 from P4. Among other things, this turned up a
change to the <change> element which I do not understand. The P4 files
have

<revisionDesc>
  <change>
     <date>19990810/22:31:38</date>
     <respStmt>
     <name>CW</name>
     <resp>ed.</resp></respStmt>
   <item>Created initial TEI XML version with BASICX.BAT
   (99/8/10)</item>
  </change>
</revisionDesc>

but this is not valid anymore.  Now I can just recreate the necessary
declarations in my ODDs, but I hope somebody can refresh my memory
about why this was thought a good idea.
The P5 docs (BTW, the examples are formatted a bit strange) want to
have just this

   <change date="2006-02-07">
     <name>CW</name>
P4 to P5 conversion by cbetap4top5.xsl  Rev.  1.4  of
                         2005/07/28: P5 version, intended for publication
   </change>

All this is based on item 34 in edw92.xml.  While this might not be as
controversial as numbered divs, I wonder if it is necessary to make P4
to P5 conversion unnecessarily cumbersome?  I would prefer to have the
old content model as an alternative, but maybe I am overlooking
something?

Christian

--
 Christian Wittern