[tei-council] Proposal for a Council Meeting May 2006 in Kyoto

Susan Schreibman sschreib at umd.edu
Mon Jan 16 10:17:44 EST 2006

I agree with what has been written -- fabulous news Christian. Either
dates are fine with me. And please do let the rest of us know if we can
do anything in support of the public symposium. I wonder if we might
have a poster sessions in which all of us can demo projects we are
working on utilizing the TEI, and which would allow for more informal
interaction with those attending the symposium.

susan

Lou Burnard wrote:

> This is great news... I think the idea of a pre-meeting set of
> presentations would be fine, though we do need to tie down the topics
> a bit carefully to avoid duplication. Speaking for myself, I'd be
> happy to speak on either the  overall organization and content of P5
> (what it is, why it is different from P4, and how you can do cool
> things with it) or on a more focussed specific topic (e.g. using TEI
> P5 to mark up and exploit language corpora; manuscript materials;
> literary texts; whatever)
>
> Assuming that others agree, the onlyheadache I perceive immediately
> will be the dates. LREC, the major European conference on language
> resources, runs from 23-27 May and I am already committed to attend
> it, as is Laurent. So the earlier week would be far preferable.
>
> Many thanks for this opportunity, Chris!
>

>  Next, we need to look at the dates.  I would propose to hold the
>
>> workshop the day before the Council meeting.  That way, it can also
>> function as an update and preparation for our meeting itself.  If we
>> stay with Thursday/Friday for the Council meeting, this would mean to
>> hold the workshop on the preceding Wednesday, for example May 17 or
>> May 24 followed by Council meeting on May 18/19 or 25/26.
>> Please comment on the possibility of this according to your schedule.
>> To get going with the preparations, we would need to fix the dates
>> pretty soon.
>>
>> All the best -- looking forward to welcome you all here in Kyoto!
>>
>> Christian

Susan Schreibman, PhD
Assistant Dean
Head of Digital Collections and Research
McKeldin Library
University of Maryland
College Park, MD 20742

Phone: 301 314 0358