[tei-council] customization in P5

Syd Bauman Syd_Bauman at Brown.edu
Sun Dec 18 22:29:03 EST 2005

Sebastian, do you realize that we're talking about customization
here, not creation of schemas? Your arguments seem to be discussing
the latter, so I wanted to check that we are on the same page before
I responded at length. The question at hand is whether or not we
should support users writing customizations in:

* ODD	       (of course)
* RelaxNG      (I think so)
* DTD
* W3C Schema

Although your last paragraph does seem to be about customization, so
I'll address it now.

> Let me note that if we do only support ODD-generated schemas, we
> have to drop the DTD and Relax NG parameterized schema fragments
> entirely. We can't say "here they are, but you mustn't use them".

I'm not sure what you mean by the RelaxNG parameterized schema
fragments, but dropping the parameterization of the DTD fragments
would be a Good Thing. I think creating them has been a waste of your
valuable time, as will be maintaining them in the future.

> It plainly _is_ possible today to use P5 in the same way as we used
> to use P4, with DTD subsets.

Has anyone tested this? I will buy you a (cheap American) beer if it
does not turn out not to have problems, and there are not lots of
customizations that are trivial in ODD that are difficult in DTD.