[tei-council] customization in P5

Sebastian Rahtz sebastian.rahtz at oucs.ox.ac.uk
Sun Dec 18 16:29:48 EST 2005

> So I would like to suggest that the council fully endorses the
> proposition of the Meta group that we highly recommend not to hack
> DTDs/Schemas for customize the TEI tagset, but ony use ODD specs.

Just to be clear, this was the proposition of the whole council already,
in Paris. I wrote a document which
outlined 3 ways of using the TEI, which I sent in from Timor, and the
council firmly said "No", as I recall.
So I don't think we need formally discuss it more, it was already stated.

I think Lou should cut down chapter ST a lot,  and let it reference the
customization chapter. That's
the one which needs bringing to the fore, and explaining how to use the
TEI in anger (that's constructive
anger, not the sort I vented in the poor DHQ list, if any of you are on
that).

> PS: the DTD which is generated when deleting  a lot of elements from
> the 4 basic module (e.g. just to keep text/(front,body,back)/p) is
> not as robust as the corresponding RelaxNG schema). Incomplete
> stements are generated which prevent any further processing.

I am slightly surprised by that. Can you give me a sample ODD which
generates Relax properly, but not DTD?
Such things need sorting out.

You may find the next release better, as a lot of the class changes
affected this situation.

http://www.oss-watch.ac.uk