[tei-council] customization in P5

Laurent Romary Laurent.Romary at loria.fr
Sun Dec 18 15:11:40 EST 2005

As a matter of fact, a whole week of meetings, ending in a full
afternoon of Roma/ODD tutorial in Nancy at the very time of our
conference call put me in the best position just to forget it... I
should send tankers of apologies to all of you, but Lou's message
cheers me up a little bit since I can give you a kind of feedback
from the mass. It appears that the principles of ODD, combined with
the nice features of Roma do reach people's mind as we teach them. My
audience was made of colleagues from Nancy who, for most of them, had
experience of DTDs/Schemas and the like. They al appreciated the
prospect of not having to fiddle with those things anymore and are
very pleased with the idea of just having ODD as the sole
custumization means for the TEI (or sole specification language for
any kind of XML application, but this is rather out of topic).
So I would like to suggest that the council fully endorses the
proposition of the Meta group that we highly recommend not to hack
DTDs/Schemas for customize the TEI tagset, but ony use ODD specs. I
then agree to put the issue of defining what an ODD conformant
processor is on the agenda of my meeting with Lou next week.
Best wishes,
Laurent

PS: the DTD which is generated when deleting  a lot of elements from
the 4 basic module (e.g. just to keep text/(front,body,back)/p) is
not as robust as the corresponding RelaxNG schema). Incomplete
stements are generated which prevent any further processing.