[tei-council] encoding page scans

Sebastian Rahtz sebastian.rahtz at oucs.ox.ac.uk
Fri Dec 16 04:39:27 EST 2005

Conal Tuohy wrote:

>I'm not sure that I expressed myself that clearly - I wondered just how
>far ODD's "filter" system could go in terms of mapping TEI instances to
>other schemas - is there anything it can't do, in principle?

the filtering I talked about in Sofia deals with one element
at a time. So if it was a matter of redoing a whole structure,
i'm wary

>The reason I wondered was that it seemed to me that a good general
>markup solution might be considerably more verbose than a light-weight
>variant <pb url="page1.jpg"/>

In general, I dont think verbosity is a bad thing...

>If the standard page facsimile markup were to encode facsimile elements
>in the sourceDesc (with links pointing into the text), then an ODD
>customisation for a light-weight page-facsimile markup would define a
>sourceDesc whose content model EXCLUDED facsimile elements, but it could
>define a filter to generate those basic facsimile elements from
>//pb/@url, and the links from //pb/@xml:id

maybe. that would be pushing the ODD stuff into new territory;
you have to realize that the <equiv> mechanism is barely
explored, and there are few examples of its use.  I'd be delighted
to see experiments in this area!

Sebastian