[tei-council] encoding page scans

Conal Tuohy Conal.Tuohy at vuw.ac.nz
Thu Dec 15 21:01:08 EST 2005

Sebastian Rahtz wrote:

> <figure> can _contain_ <graphic>, and much else besides.
> You use <graphic> anywhere you want to include an external
> image file, no more and no less. So if we defined <pageImage>,
> its child would be <graphic>

OK

Conal:
> >I would be interested in the idea that a light-weight
> encoding practice
> >(such as is commonly used today) might be mapped to a more
> sophisticated
> >one using ODD.

Sebastian:
> I think I'd want to sit down with you and some scrap paper
> and really get to grips with what ODD is and isn't before
> I could answer that.

Hmmm ... that might take a while to arrange :-)

I'm not sure that I expressed myself that clearly - I wondered just how
far ODD's "filter" system could go in terms of mapping TEI instances to
other schemas - is there anything it can't do, in principle?

The reason I wondered was that it seemed to me that a good general
markup solution might be considerably more verbose than a light-weight
variant <pb url="page1.jpg"/>, and since a light-weight style has some
value, therefore that might be a constraint on the form of the more
general markup. I will need to get to grips with ODD and try it out, but
I think it should work.

If the standard page facsimile markup were to encode facsimile elements
in the sourceDesc (with links pointing into the text), then an ODD
customisation for a light-weight page-facsimile markup would define a
sourceDesc whose content model EXCLUDED facsimile elements, but it could
define a filter to generate those basic facsimile elements from
//pb/@url, and the links from //pb/@xml:id

Sebastian:
> Would you be _very_ unhappy with a secondary TEI
> document consisting of a series of <pageImage> elements,
> whose body would contain <graphic> elements, structured to
> cover Dot's point about multiple versions? Noting that this
> would allow, inter alia, for _alternative_ transcriptons in different
> TEI documents, linked to this document which describes a series
> of page scans?

I would be very happy if that were allowed, but I would very much like
the ability to encode them in a single file, as well. I think simplicity
is a key requirement, actually. Otherwise METS is just as good, I think.

Con