[tei-council] W3C Xpointer schema registry

James Cummings James.Cummings at computing-services.oxford.ac.uk
Sat Nov 19 19:56:25 EST 2005

Syd Bauman wrote:
> We had xpath2() in an earlier version of the list, but decided to
> drop it because XPath 2.0 was only a draft at the time. Has it become
> a real official W3C recommendation? If so, we should go ahead and add
> xpath2() back to the list, no?

"This specification will remain a Candidate Recommendation until at
least 28 February 2006."

I think it is fairly stable, though others may know better.  I'd say
include it in the list.

I'm sure this has all been thought through before, but is there a need
for both an xpath() and xpath2()?  (Just strikes me as problematic,
what happens when xpath3 (if ever) comes along.)  Do they need to be
separate because of the issues of backwards compatibility?

http://www.w3.org/TR/2005/CR-xpath20-20051103/#id-backwards-compatibility

-James