[tei-council] @TEIform

Christian Wittern wittern at kanji.zinbun.kyoto-u.ac.jp
Mon Nov 14 07:36:42 EST 2005

Sebastian Rahtz <sebastian.rahtz at oucs.ox.ac.uk> writes:

> Christian Wittern wrote:
>
>>We have discussed at some point if/how an instance document should
>>mention its ODD source, but I don't think we have come to a
>>conclusion.  I would be uncomfortable dropping @TEIform (to which I do
>>not object)without at least this mechanism in place.
>>

> Since a DOCTYPE is not mandated (or even used, by some
> applications), the status quo is that there is no default
> link from an instance to a DTD (which is
> where the @TEIform is).....

Well -- I agree that these are different beasts, and I am not asking
for a link to a schema, but rather to an ODD.

A dedicated attribute that takes a URI value would be good enough for
most cases, although I also see that for some cases embedding seems to
be elegant, which is something we have discussed recently in another
context as well.  Maybe we should call it the kangaroo method and make
it a general principle for auxiliary data (charDesc, prosopography,
you-name-it).  Is this something in scope for the SO group?

Christian

--

 Christian Wittern