[tei-council] @TEIform

James Cummings James.Cummings at computing-services.oxford.ac.uk
Sun Nov 13 10:03:23 EST 2005

>Sebastian Rahtz <sebastian.rahtz at oucs.ox.ac.uk>:
>>We now know how to do this better by reference back to the ODD source,
>>which also covers attribute names.
>>Hands up all those who would be willing to quietly drop this dinosaur
>>artefact?

First, let me say that my gut instinct is to drop it.  Second, by way
of playing Devil's Advocate, let me ask why it was there in the first
place?

My assumption has always been that in document instances which
conformed to an extended DTD where TEI elements had been renamed, a
processed version of the document might exist out of context from its
DTD.  (Since it is the processing of the document in conjunction with
the DTD which provides the attribute.)  So once a document instance is
moved somewhere else from it's DTD, that I have a <chapter> element
which is really just a type of <div> becomes problematised because I
have not documented that it is just a <div type="chapter">.  However,
if I have a @TEIform, then the processed/expanded document, even in
absence of its DTD will have @TEIform="div", thus providing some
perhaps crucial information to someone happening upon the document
years later.

What I'm wondering about the reference-back-to-ODD-source method is
that it depends upon the existence of another file (much like, you can
argue, the unprocessed file does to its DTD).  I'm more than happy to
drop @TEIform, because it has never been any actual use to me,
however, I am wary about just zapping it without being sure that we're
providing as reliable a mechanism since Lou and others must surely
have thought it a good idea at some point.  Well, that is the best I
can do as a Devil's advocate I think.

So explain to me again how the reference back to the ODD source works?
  I'm of course in favour of that as a mechanism since it also covers
attribute names.

-James