[tei-council] datatypes again: make data.key a URI

Lou Burnard lou.burnard at computing-services.oxford.ac.uk
Tue Nov 1 14:54:23 EST 2005

James Cummings wrote:

>> Use case:  all naming elements (<rs>, <name> etc.) have a key
>> attribute defined as data.key. You *might* want to say <rs
>> key="wibble">Mr Bennet</rs> and leave it at that, but it seems at
>> least as likely that you will somewhere have a <person
>> xml:id="wibble"> element (not necessarily in the same document, but
>> that doesnt matter any more) and want to point to it.

> What if I want to give the <person> element a key to my database but I
> want to also give it an xml:id for other purposes?

Sorry, I think I now see what I have failed to explain. It's not that
you have to choose between <rs key="xxx"> and <person xml:id="xxx">. The
  assumption is that you might want to have both and to link them
together. At present, if you say <rs key="xxx"> and you want to link
that to your <person xml:id="yyy"> you either have to use a different
attribute, since key= doesnt act as a uri, or redefine the datraype for
key, which is what I am proposing.

> I'm not necessarily objecting, just want it explained to me more. What
> do we lose if we are only able to have key or xml:id on an element.

hope this is a bit clearer now, and apologies for excessive elision