[tei-council] for Council to consider: new datatype

Syd Bauman Syd_Bauman at Brown.edu
Mon Oct 10 18:36:49 EDT 2005

After a huddle over the weekend among me, Sebastian, and Lou, we've
created yet another datatype. This one is specifically designed for
the height= and width= attributes of <graphic> and <binaryObject> The
declaration is

data.htmlDimension =
  xsd:token {
    pattern =
      "[\-+]?\d+(\.\d+)?(cm|mm|in|pt|pc|px|em|ex|gd|rem|vw|vh|vm)"
  }

That pattern is specifically designed to allow values to map directly
to XSLFO or CSS3 values. It is a little more restrictive, in that it
requires that the numeric portion neither start nor end with a
decimal point (i.e., if there is a decimal point, there must be at
least one digit on either side). It is a little less restrictive than
XSLFO in that it permits some units that CSS3 uses but XSLFO does
not.

I think this is a fine and dandy datatype, but the more I think of
it, the more I think the name leaves a lot to be desired. Any
suggestions? Anyone object to it entirely or to its definition?

P.S. I plan to post a similar missive about <respStmt> in a day or
     two. I *really* want Council members to think about this stuff
     and respond.