[tei-council] gaiji in PCDATA, or <g> in text

Christian Wittern wittern at kanji.zinbun.kyoto-u.ac.jp
Mon Oct 10 18:33:28 EDT 2005

Syd Bauman <Syd_Bauman at Brown.edu> writes:

> Christian Wittern writes:
>> > <eg>               text only
>> > <egXML>            text only
>>
>> Why would these be text only?  I would "allow <g>" here
>
> Because these are examples of XML encoding or other computer
> documents. At lest for <egXML>, where the contents are defined to be
> well-formed XML, it definitionally cannot have a character outside of
> Unicode in it, so cannot need to have such a character encoded with
> <g>.

I am afraid you are confusing two levels of different encoding here.
<g> is a means to encode arbitrary characters in XML using XML
methods.  The characters are defined to be possibly outside of Unicode
by their semantics on the markup level -- the character encdoing of
course contains only legal Unicode characters in any case.

> (You may want to give an example of <g>, but this is handled,
> like any other example element, by using an element from a different
> namespace, e.g. "http://www.tei-c.org/ns/Examples")

I see.

> I suppose if someone wants to use <eg> to show an example of RTF or
> some even more bizarre language, there might be some character in use
> that is not actually a Unicode character?

Most surely not, but that is a bit OT:-)

All the best,

Christian

--

 Christian Wittern