[tei-council] datatypes: outstanding questions

Syd Bauman Syd_Bauman at Brown.edu
Sat Sep 24 11:41:47 EDT 2005

> why would these stop being attributes? they look like simple tokens
> mostly

Because they might have characters outside of Unicode or be in a
language other than the element on which they are specified (or would
be a child).

> nah, extend it to also allow "not many", "quite a few", "a
> reasonable amount", "not many at all", "god knows", "really quite a
> decent number". etc

Hmmm... I don't know enough about encoding of different hands in
manuscripts to say whether the precise (tei.data.count) or vague
(above) suggestion is better, but if we go with the vague, we can't
have spaces in the values. (Enumerations are the ident= of <valItem>,
and ident= is a tei.data.ident, which can't have a space.)