[tei-council] comments on edw90

Sebastian Rahtz sebastian.rahtz at oucs.ox.ac.uk
Thu Sep 22 14:57:33 EDT 2005

how is that different from key="http://www.foo.com#92041" ?

>> One final thought. As mentioned before, in the P5 world as currently
>> instantiated, a document can't say to which schema it is supposed to
>> conform.

This is not some sort of P5 restriction. We don't dictate what
mechanisms people may use to do this, of which there are at least
4 (DOCTYPE, the XSD mechanism, the software-speficic Oxygen PI,
and the external mapping implemented in emacs).

that's an aside tho...

>> So suppose a project has 2 somewhat similar schemas that
>> serve different purposes lying around, each of which imposes a closed
>> value list on the bar= of <foo>, as follows:
>>   A        B
>>   ---      -------
>>   fee      fee
>>   fi       fi
>>   fo       fiddlie
>>   fum      aye
>>            oh
>> Now suppose you, the encoder, start working on an instance. Unless
>> said instance is already valid against A and invalid against B, you
>> have no way of knowing that "fum" is a legal value but "aye" is not.
>> Thus I think (or am I worried?) that a validatable method of
>> constraining values from within the instance will be even more popular
>> in P5 than in P4. I.e., it would be useful to have
>>  <definition-of-foo-values>
>>    <valList>
>>      <valItem ident="fee">
>>        <gloss>The file entropy evaluation as reported by blort</gloss>
>>      </valItem>
>>      <valItem ident="fi">
>>        <gloss>The file input, should contain only ASCII
>> characters</gloss>
>>      </valItem>
>>      </valItem ident="fo">
>> or some such somewhere in the TEI Header.

you want to put an ODD schema fragment in the TEI header????
well, its an interesting idea. it is pre-supposed in one of the
datatypes that values will be defined in the header, so conceivably
a general-purpose container could be useful.

http://www.oss-watch.ac.uk