[tei-council] Re: tcw06.xml

Sebastian Rahtz sebastian.rahtz at oucs.ox.ac.uk
Sat Sep 10 06:08:50 EDT 2005

Christian Wittern wrote:

>However, the non-obvious pre-requisites (Saxon, perl, trang, jing,
>xmllint) are not mentioned in the doc -- it would be convenient to
>point people to the relevant locations.

James, I guess this in your ball court.

Note that  saxon is not a prerequisite for most people,
since they won't have xsltdoc

>And before we announce this to TEI-L, it would be good if some brave
>soul could try this out on a Windows machine...

I don't think its conceivable it will work. It is designed
to work in a Unix environment, and I don't have any idea
at all what may be needed to make the scripts work under Windows.

The schemas, xsl, etc would normally be installed from "compiled" form
anyway, and have no OS-dependencies. The "roma" script is written
in the shell language; it _could_be rewritten in Perl or Ruby or something
which might run under Windoze, but how many Windows people know
the existence of a command-line? Ideally, someone would rewrite it as pretty
GUI thang in Java, which would be quite easy. I don't have the skills
myself,
sadly.

http://www.oss-watch.ac.uk