[tei-council] Upcoming teleconference Friday 2005-09-09 at 1300 UTC

James Cummings James.Cummings at computing-services.oxford.ac.uk
Sat Sep 3 12:25:33 EDT 2005

Christian Wittern wrote:
> James Cummings <James.Cummings at computing-services.oxford.ac.uk> writes:
>
> I'd prefer to have a dedicated channel for the council.

Ok, on the day of the council call I'll set up a password (or 'key')
protected channel called #tei-council the joining instructions are the
same and I'd still suggest joining the #tei-c one.  Once there type:
/join #tei-council 2expensive
and in most IRC clients that will get you there.

> BTW (showing
> my ignorance) is it possible to have a log of the conversation and
> post it for example on the Council pages?

Currently the robot I have sat in the public channel logs everything
for the previous two days (it has a 'today' log and a 'yesterday' log)
but these are overwritten each day.  However, it won't be on the
council channel anyways.

But yes, most clients give a method of logging the traffic in a
channel.  In fact, gaim gives the option of logging in plain text or
HTML.  (Although it uses XML for most of its files, it doesn't seem to
log in it unfortunately.)  I will make sure to enable logging on that
day, and I hope others will as well to make doubly sure.

> Last time I tried this, I realized that I forgot to ask how do
> disconnect, so my alter ego was hanging around there until the whole
> firefox went belly up...

Most clients will respond to:
/quit
and some will pass on a quit message as well:
/quit I'm off to the pub.

I'm not sure the best way to do this in the Chatzilla extension, since
I don't use it, but it will probably work with that.

In addition, if this happens often through disconenctions etc. another
method is to register your nickname with NickServ, then if you come
back and another virtual you is still there you can:
/ghost nickname password
and it will get rid of the other you.

-James