[tei-council] from OASIS

Julia Flanders Julia_Flanders at brown.edu
Sun Aug 28 15:49:52 EDT 2005

This just came to info at tei-c.org; it seems to be something the Council
might respond to.

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: 	(tr259)
Date: 	Sun, 28 Aug 2005 12:36:20 -0500 (CDT)
From: 	Dr. Laurence Leff <D-Leff at wiu.edu>
To: 	info at tei-c.org

THIS IS AN ELECTRONIC COPY OF AN ITEM BEING TO SENT TO
YOU IN HARDCOPY FORMAT VIA U. S. MAIL AT THE INSIDE ADDRESS BELOW.
This will insure that you get at least one copy.  More importantly,
sending electronic copies of conventional communications should
eliminate flaming and other problems that have been documented in regards
to electronic mail.

Stipes 447
Department of Computer Science
Western Illinois University
Macomb, IL 61455

** PAGER: ** 309 367 0787
** Fax: ** 309 298 2302

.AM
Text Encoding Initiative Consortium
Institute for Advanced Technology in the Humanities
319 Alderman Library
P. O. Box 400115
University of Virginia
Charlottesville, Virginia 22904-4115

Dear Sir or Madam:

The OASIS Legal XML Member Section e-Contracts Technical Committee
is choosing
a "host schema" to serve as the basis of the "narrative" part of
contracts.

We are, of course, considering Text Encoding Initiative
The TC has developed evaluation criteria and evaluated TEI against
these criteria at:
http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/download.php/13508/tei.xml.pdf
http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/download.php/13449/R2.pdf

We would like the TEI Consortium to add to our information
for consideration.  We would extend any host schema to include
markup specific to contracts such as lists of the parties, recitals
and provision for written signatures.  As you
may
know, there was an article in XML Europe 2004 on merging TEI and
Docbook.  On this basis, I conclude that we could extend TEI for
the needs of the legal community dealing with contracts.

Thanks for your interest in our possible extension of your work.

Sincerely yours,

Laurence L. Leff, Ph.D.
Associate Professor of Computer Science
Secretary,
The OASIS Legal XML Member Section e-Contracts Technical Committee

cc: info at tei-c.org

** P. S. ** Earlier, I sent a similar letter to Dr. Sperberg-McQueen.
I did not receive a response.  Perhaps, our letter
or the response was lost in the mail or Dr. Sperberg-McQueen was not the person
to whom to write.