[tei-council] EDW90 proposals (1 of several)

Sebastian Rahtz sebastian.rahtz at computing-services.oxford.ac.uk
Sat Jul 30 16:57:12 EDT 2005

Lou Burnard wrote:

> 1. Drop the following attributes on teiHeader:
>
> creator  (Syd proposes using resp instead)
> status (this can take values "new" and "updated")
>
> It seems useful to me to distinguish the agency responsible for
> creation of a header from the person who last changed it (which is
> identifiable from the <revisionDesc>)  but maybe not?  I'm less sure
> about the usefulness of STATUS. Anyone use these attributes?

<revisionDesc> applies to the document, not the header, surely? @creator
is the metadata stiuff only.
you might argue that <teiHeader> should be allowed
a child <respStmt> of its own.

any act of creation should generate a <change> in <revisionDesc> anyway,
by the way (and IMHO)

@status seems too limited to be of serious use.

> 3. Drop <xxxSpan> elements in favour of HORSE-style attributes (i.e.
> something like the spanTo attribute added to <index>)

> I am basically in favour of this proposal, but it needs more careful
> and detailed articulation

if I recall discussions with Lou correctly, my sticking point was that
idea that <del> would sometimes be empty
and sometimes not, which seems bothersome

> 4. drop SIGIL on <witness> in favour of xml:id
>
> This would be consistent with what we have already done for <hand> and
> <handShift>.  But will the users of <witness> be happy having to say
> <witness xml:id="foo"> instead of <witness sigil="foo">?

why on earth would they care either way? if you let them have a private
recondite name for an ID attribute, everyone
else will want one too.

http://www.oss-watch.ac.uk