[tei-council] EDW90 proposals (1 of several)

Lou Burnard lou.burnard at computing-services.oxford.ac.uk
Sat Jul 30 11:51:09 EDT 2005

I'm rather slowly working my way through the proposals in Syd's table of
attributes in  a more or less random order, picking off the simple cases
first. I am simply applying the changes proposed where they seem
non-controversial and/or already agreed to, but this is not always the case!

As the whole document is a bit long to digest, I am going to post a few
specific queries as they come up, to sound out Council's views:

1. Drop the following attributes on teiHeader:

creator  (Syd proposes using resp instead)
status (this can take values "new" and "updated")

It seems useful to me to distinguish the agency responsible for creation
of a header from the person who last changed it (which is identifiable
from the <revisionDesc>)  but maybe not?  I'm less sure about the
usefulness of STATUS. Anyone use these attributes?

2. Drop the wscale attribute on <alt> and <altGrp> (presumably because
the  weight attribute  should contain a quantity and a scale as a single
value -- but this is not explicit in Syd's table)

This seems reasonable in itself. On the other hand <alt> is a pretty
recondite element which probably needs a lot more thought

3. Drop <xxxSpan> elements in favour of HORSE-style attributes (i.e.
something like the spanTo attribute added to <index>)

I am basically in favour of this proposal, but it needs more careful and
detailed articulation

4. drop SIGIL on <witness> in favour of xml:id

This would be consistent with what we have already done for <hand> and
<handShift>.  But will the users of <witness> be happy having to say
<witness xml:id="foo"> instead of <witness sigil="foo">?