[tei-council] the release conundrum

Sebastian Rahtz sebastian.rahtz at computing-services.oxford.ac.uk
Sun Jul 17 16:30:32 EDT 2005

I have tried to streamline our release offerings. We now have

 a) CVS
 b) a release which consists of:
      - debian and RPM packages
      - SF file releases
      - a duplicate of a Debian release on the TEI web site.
        the existing copies of P4 and P5 DTDs and Guidelines have now been
        removed, and the URLs are now silently redirected to the
"release" tree.
 c) packages for Knoppix and Windows Emacs (not in sync yet)
 d) distribution by oXygen

we are now at release 0.1.10.

My view of the process is as follows:

  1) the editors or their acolytes change CVS as they need to. it is not
guarenteed to "work" at any given time.
  2) when a consensus emerges that something interesting has happened,
or that 6 months has passed,
       the editors will instruct the release manager (currently me) to
prepare all the outputs in b) above
       and release them as close together as possible
 3) the Knoppix and Emacs releases are a project of TEI Oxford which
will follow a timetable of their own
 4) we will all do our best to assist the oXygen people stay in sycn and
be forewarned of important changes
 5) the editors do not need permission from the Council to make minimo
releases (ie 0.1.13), but
     the council will discuss making a minor release (0.2.0), and the
council and board will both
     discuss making a major release (1.0.0)

I would propose now that we plan to make the 0.2.0 release after the
class and attribute changes have been
implemented.

How does that sound?

http://www.oss-watch.ac.uk