[tei-council] meeting technologies

Christian Wittern wittern at kanji.zinbun.kyoto-u.ac.jp
Sun Jul 10 21:23:06 EDT 2005

Sebastian Rahtz <sebastian.rahtz at computing-services.oxford.ac.uk> writes:

> We had an agenda item last week, missed out because Alex was absent,
> about alternative
> technologies for virtual council meetings.

This came out of a discussion we had in Paris, born out of the
frustration with the current infrastructure.

> I wonder if we can pursue this a little? I spent some time at
> a conference last week at which we were encouraged
> to experiment with various tools, including instant messaging
> and Skype internet telephony. I was surprised to find that
> the instant messaging conversations were quite reasonable
> (we used IRC, but it could be anything).

I am very open on this.  I'm not sure, if Skype is up to the task, but
IM (which I used for a grand total of about 30 minutes to day) sounds
promising.

> Do  you all find the telephony a plausible method of communication?
> Would you be interested in an alternate trial of IM?

I am all in favor on this.

> Another more radical alternative would be video conferencing.
> How many of you would be willing to risk that?

For Mac users, there is always iChat, don't know about others and
compatibility issues.

I suggest that we try some of these things in a small group and report
our findings to the list.

I will volunteer to be part of this and suggest that we collect
another two or three (including sb from the US) and start discuss
things among this group.

All the best,

Christian

--