[tei-council] notes from today's conference call

Christian Wittern wittern at kanji.zinbun.kyoto-u.ac.jp
Fri Jul 8 18:36:03 EDT 2005

Thank yo Syd, as usual speedy and accurate work.  Amazing how you can
do that under these conditions.  I have to apologize for the bad sound
quality on my side (although I think it is more of a compatibility
issue; the Oxford trio, as well as John and Natasha came in with
excellent quality and even Julia was much better audible than you,
Syd) -- I did a quite thorough search for a headset that I could use
with a phone at home in the weeks before the call, but those products
that I tracked down were discontinued. The market does not seem very
big for this kind of stuff.

Syd Bauman <Syd_Bauman at Brown.edu> writes:

> The first draft of notes from today's call are up on the web at
>
>   http://www.tei-c.org/Council/tcm18.xml?style=printable
>
> but have not been linked to from the Council index page yet (on
> purpose). I'm hoping everyone will take a look (particularly search
> for your name, your initials, and the string "??") and send any
> corrections here within the next few days.

What I said -- not very clearly -- about Tom Elliot and the EpiDoc
people is the following:
* I had informed them of the project in HD and a plan to produce a
  customization for that project, with a focus on how to describe the
  objects
* Tom responded (after 2 months) and said that this sounds interesting.  He
  send me some information about what he and others are doing and said
  that their main aim is more with a "best practice" approach, in other
  words to guide epigraphers with the encoding, rather than with the
  description.  There are, according to him debates about where to put
  these descriptive metadata (header vs. body) and how to do them, so
  any development here would be welcome.  He was also happy seeing the
  TEI move into this direction and would welcome (and collaborate on) a possible
  epDescription chapter in the future.

> Note that I made a few dates for action items up on my own accord.

Great. We should make it a rule that every action has a date.

After the call I realized that we somehow dropped the ball on the
<choice> stuff.  Lou, do you know what the situation is?  We need to
have a proposal on how to deal with choice, since this seems to be one
of the biggest unresolved issues in P5.

All the best and a good weekend to everybody,

Christian

--

 Christian Wittern